For the past few days I’ve felt a little bit sad. There’s not really a particular reason for it, but I have been spending more time on my own which is unusual for me. Most nights I go to events, see friends or do an activity, which is great because I love being around people. But lately I’ve felt a bit more reclusive and introverted, so I’ve been staying at home more. What I noticed is that all these sneaky little negative thoughts have been creeping into my head. They try to make me believe that I’m not doing enough, my life is boring, I’m lonely and other silly things that just aren’t true.
Last night I went on a run and I decided that I would come up with 20 reason I’m happy. A simple, easy, effective way to reroute negative thoughts into positive ones. When I came up with this list I did it in a vigorous stream of consciousness so I wouldn’t over think it.
This is why I’m happy:
- I get to make my own schedule 90% of the time.
- What I do for work aligns with my values, beliefs and strengths.
- I get to be part of something that allows people to do what they absolutely love. Make It is like a dream machine for crafty entrepreneurs. So cool.
- I’m highly skilled at having fun no matter what the situation.
- My family. We are extremely tight and when we are together we laugh really really really hard.
- I get to work with my brother who is my best friend and the most incredible human I’ve ever met.
- My friends are sweet, supportive and allow me to be my true self. Plus they are crazy and a blast to be around.
- A lot of days I work from home and I don’t have to wear real pants. They are too restrictive for creativity.
- I have really thick hair and can make a killer bun. Sometimes people think it’s fake.
- I’m single, but totally content and satisfied until I meet the right person.
- I’ve created a life where I can have the urge to travel somewhere I can usually always make it happen.
- I get to live in one of the most beautiful cities.
- I’m part of a community of people who are making the world a better place.
- I have great health and feel awesome the majority of the time.
- Things come very naturally to me.
- I don’t have any allergies.
- I believe my brain can manifest magical possibilities.
- There’s tons of love and abundance in my life.
- I know there’s a reason I’m here.
- The best is yet to come.
Coming up with this list this felt fantastic and my downer mood changed instantly. Growing up my mom always had a gratitude journal so I knew the importance of reflecting on what I was grateful for. But, it can be easy to take what’s around you for granted when you don’t constantly remind yourself of how lucky you are.
This quote sums it up beautifully, “when you love what you have, you have everything you need.”
Now it’s your turn! Tell me at least 3 reasons why you are happy in the comments below. Don’t over think it, just open your heart and write 🙂